Sunday, December 11, 2016

Changes

Pin It
So my son has been on a mission for our church for the last 15 months and we have been out of sorts with all kinds of feelings and things. But the most recently, we have decided to make some changes for our home from the bottom up.

We started with our missionary son's room and have moved to other rooms our basement. Right now I go the bug in my head that I wanted a pallet wood wall. Lucky me I have a supportive husband who just stands to the side and watch me work. Here is how this journey began and where I am so far. Much is still left to do to get this room completed but it is on it's way.

After helping a neighbor lay sod they had several pallets left over. I saw that the pallets were not chemically treated and immediately asked them if I could have them. They gave me six. I thought I would need more, but I made what I had work!! (So when you look for pallets, be sure to find/use ones labled "HT" = heat treated or "KD" = kiln dried. You don't want any yucky chemicals floating around your family.)
Once home and with the help of a neighbor, we got the pallets all broken down. I removed the nails and hosed each board down and set them out to dry. I let them dry for about a week in the garage, then brought them inside to get ready for the wall.


The process begins. I looked at various pinterest ideas on how to get started and I really liked one using strips of 1x3. I began putting up the boards but noticed that I could see the wall behind. So I painted the strips black and wall between each row. 
Wall is complete!!! I loved the process. 


Now am at the point of working on the bench. It is looking good.
 I will post update in the next week of where I am on this project. I hope you all like this and send me messages to keep me motivated to keep sharing with all y'all.

Thanks for stoppin' by.

post signature

Friday, May 20, 2016

Side Table DIY

Pin It
DIY Side Tables


With our son serving a mission for our church, we decided to remodel his room. I have DIY most everything so far. Once it is complete I will share the complete room, but at the moment one of the items I am super proud of are these side tables.

Our son's room is not very big so a standard nightstand was out of the question. I knew I needed something that was not going to take up much floor space, but it had to be more grown up and not too "girlie". So with that the hunt was on. I could not find anything I liked or was affordable.

One day after work I wondered into a local store, Super Low. They typically have odd and ends kinds of things from high end stores, like Pottery Barn and West Elm. That particular day they had Whitney Hutch pieces that sell on Pottery Barn's website for $250, Super Low had them for $20 each!!!!! I did a little bit of negotiating with them to let me have them for that ridiculously low price and it worked!!

I was so happy to have them, but they had NO LEGS!! I had, at first, thought I would just attach them to the wall, but hubby shut that idea down right away. No unnecessary holes were going in the newly painted walls. So legs were all I was looking for. Lucky for me, I had already had hairpin legs on my radar.

The best place I found the legs was Modern Urban Metals. It is an Etsy shop. They were affordable and just what I needed.

I am having fun with everything that is happening in that room. Can hardly wait for it to be complete so I can show you all.

Thanks for stoppin' by.

post signature

Thursday, March 31, 2016

How to Remove a Baked on Label

Pin It

Hey everybody!! Life has been too crazy to get into details, but a few things have happened since the last time I posted.

My eldest son graduated high school and now is serving a full time mission for our church in Texas. I began a semester in the University of Utah to study mediation and had it cut short. So that's on hold. I had to have shoulder surgery, which put a hitch in my giddy up. I am slowly mending and with that I am starting to do some crafts.

To start, once our son left we had decided that remodel his room. For starters we needed to add a closet. I am going with more of a farmhouse style. I made a headboard (which looks amazing, and I will post that soon). But something a little smaller to add a little touch of sweetness I wanted a ceramic old fashioned milk bottle. I knew something new would be expensive so off to the thrift store I went.

I found this lovely little thing.







The only problem was that it had a printed label on it that seemed to be baked in. But I loved it. So I had to figure out how to get that off. Below is a video of how I was able to remove it.

Beautiful Lovely vase now.

Thanks for stopping by.
post signature
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...