Friday, September 14, 2012

Pallet Wood Screen Cover

Pin It
My family is pretty practical.  We don't have a lot of this and that  like other family members or neighbors.  For instance we don't have cable or dish  the huge 55" flat screen TV, cell phones, etc, etc.  And I think we are doing just fine without all of that, but yes some of those luxuries would be nice to have.

Recently, "The Husband" and I were chatting about some things we would like to get.  I told him that I would like to have a 40"- 42" flat screen.  He balked at the idea, mainly because a neighbor was robbed of hers (her's was much bigger than what I want).  He said that in order for him to feel good about getting a larger TV (the biggest size we have is 22"), he wants to have a cover over it. 

I've looked high and low for something I would like that would fit in our tiny abode that would also look nice.  There are a lot of things out there, but none of them really suited me.  So  I remembered that a little while ago I had gotten some free pallet wood from some guy.  I gave most of it away, but I had kept these two.

 
They are in pretty good shape.  While I was on pintrest I came across a post that a lady did a barn door like cover for her flat screen.  I really like it.   Click HERE to see what she did.  Mine isn't as pretty at the moment, but I still like the progress that is coming along.
 
The hardest thing was removing the slats.  The nails are so rusted and the wood is so dry, but with a little patience and determination I was able to get what I needed.
 
I made a mess, but so worth it.  Pay no attention to the man in the background.  He was fixing our phone box.
After I had removed all of the slats I had to get them all to measure the same size.  Since I have yet to have the flat screen I just guessed as to what the height of my door should be. 
 
 
 
Here are my doors.  I love em'.
 
I really like the fact that they are rough and tumble.  Not perfect, chipped and has a hole and old nail marking.  Now all I have to do is get some hardware, sand, stain and seal....oh yeah and finish the box part.  I'm getting excited!!
 
My only dilemma is that I can decide if I want hinges or somehow make them sliding doors. 
 
What do you think?  Slides or Hinges.
 
I'll do another post with the next steps soon.  Click here for Part Duex.
 
Thanks for stoppin' by.
 

2 comments:

  1. I think hinges. I like the sliders, but on the other blog the pics looked like it was really awkward, so I say hinges. They turned out super cute by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thnking the same thing!:-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...