Friday, September 14, 2012

Pallet Wood Screen Cover

Pin It
My family is pretty practical.  We don't have a lot of this and that  like other family members or neighbors.  For instance we don't have cable or dish  the huge 55" flat screen TV, cell phones, etc, etc.  And I think we are doing just fine without all of that, but yes some of those luxuries would be nice to have.

Recently, "The Husband" and I were chatting about some things we would like to get.  I told him that I would like to have a 40"- 42" flat screen.  He balked at the idea, mainly because a neighbor was robbed of hers (her's was much bigger than what I want).  He said that in order for him to feel good about getting a larger TV (the biggest size we have is 22"), he wants to have a cover over it. 

I've looked high and low for something I would like that would fit in our tiny abode that would also look nice.  There are a lot of things out there, but none of them really suited me.  So  I remembered that a little while ago I had gotten some free pallet wood from some guy.  I gave most of it away, but I had kept these two.


They are in pretty good shape.  While I was on pintrest I came across a post that a lady did a barn door like cover for her flat screen.  I really like it.   Click HERE to see what she did.  Mine isn't as pretty at the moment, but I still like the progress that is coming along.

The hardest thing was removing the slats.  The nails are so rusted and the wood is so dry, but with a little patience and determination I was able to get what I needed.

I made a mess, but so worth it.  Pay no attention to the man in the background.  He was fixing our phone box.
After I had removed all of the slats I had to get them all to measure the same size.  Since I have yet to have the flat screen I just guessed as to what the height of my door should be. 



Here are my doors.  I love em'.

I really like the fact that they are rough and tumble.  Not perfect, chipped and has a hole and old nail marking.  Now all I have to do is get some hardware, sand, stain and seal....oh yeah and finish the box part.  I'm getting excited!!

My only dilemma is that I can decide if I want hinges or somehow make them sliding doors. 

What do you think?  Slides or Hinges.

I'll do another post with the next steps soon.  Click here for Part Duex.

2 comments:

  1. I think hinges. I like the sliders, but on the other blog the pics looked like it was really awkward, so I say hinges. They turned out super cute by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...