Monday, December 24, 2012

Eggnog Glazed Donuts

Pin It
This is what happens when your 8-year old asks for donuts and the kind he likes (Hostess) is no longer.
You learn how to make donuts!!  And I will have to say, they are so gooooood!!!

For many years in my cooking life, I have seen the most bizarre kitchen tool and for the life of me I have never been able to figure the thing out until......today, Christmas Eve.
Well, that darn thing was a donut cutter!!  The double rings, the big and little circles.  Well, needless to say, I have already thrown it away.....years ago. Foolish me.
I sat there looking at all that extra dough I had left from making a to die for roll recipe I found on how does sheHighly recommend you follow that dough recipe for this
Anyway, this is what I did, but the best thing was the glaze.  I had the big idea that since it was Christmas season, why not make the donuts a little more festive.  So my Eggnog Glaze was born.  I hope you love it as much as we do....
















 Eggnog Glazed Donuts

Donut
*Used the dough recipe for the dinner rolls from here.
*Roll out dough to about 1" think and use a donut cutter or in my case, I used a really large circle cookie cutter and a small biscuit cutter.  What ever you decide to you just make sure it looks like a donut. :-)
*Set the cut donuts and holes on a towel and cover and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
*Heat a large soup pot with vegetable oil to medium high.  To check to see if the oil is ready, I take a pinch of flour and sprinkle it in the oil.  When it gives a nice sizzle you are ready.
*Place a couple of donuts in the oil and gently turn them.  Allowing a nice golden color to be on both side of the donut.  This will take about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. So stay near.
*Remove the donut and place on a wire cooling rack.

Glaze
1/2 C soft butter or margarine
3 C Powder Sugar
1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 C Eggnog

*Mix together in a bowl and once your donuts have cooled for about 5 minutes...dunk em' in the glaze and place on a wire rack with a catch pan underneath.... ENJOY!!!

Merry Christmas.

If you try these I would love you to tell me what you think. 

By the way, what are some of your favorite donut glazes/toppings?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...