Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Pasta Story

Pin It

I love pasta and I have been on this fresh pasta kick for awhile now.  Well, I guess it's been a couple of years ago, my gorgeous hubby bought me a hand crank pasta machine.  I love that thing.  Yes it is work but it is worth it as you slurp up those tasty noodles.

I notice that in making my pasta, I HAD to use semolina flour, which isn't the best in the health department I hear, so I thought I would try just my plain old fresh ground wheat flour.  It was delish!!!  So if your interested here's how I make my....
Homemade 100% Whole Wheat Pasta
  • 3 Cups fresh ground hard white whole wheat flour (you can buy wheat flour at any grocery store, even Wal-mart carries it.
  • 6 eggs
  1. Put the flour in a deep bowl & make a well; crack the eggs into the well & scramble them all the while you are gradually picking up flour.  You will get a workout that is for sure at this stage.
  2. Once a soft ball of dough forms pour it out onto a floured countertop or table.  Knead the dough for about 5 minutes. Dough shouldn't be stick , but have a little give when you poke it.
  3. Now because I live in a dry state, I wrap my dough in plastic wrap and let it sit for about 20 minutes. (If you are blessed with more moisture you can just cover the dough with a bowl for the same amount of time.)
  4. After you get some your energy back (20 min. later) Cut the dough into thirds.
I forgot to say this early...I have a hand crank pasta maker my husband bought me a couple of Christmases ago.  During that 20 minute rest you'll want to get it ready.  If you have an electric one by all means use it.

I'm all about less work, but I figure if they see how hard I am working , they'll enjoy it more......

1. Anyway...Always start on the lowest setting with your flat roller and gradually move up.  I typically do a pass through with the dough on 0, fold it and pass it through again.  Then I move on to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.  6 being the thinnest I go, but you can go as thin as you like.
    2.  Once you have a long strip, lay flat and cut in to  10-12" sections. 
3.  Switch your attachment to the fettuccine attachment and send your sections through.

To keep the noodles from sticking together, toss them in some of your flour.
When cooking your noodles, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and drop your noodles in.  It should only take about 3-5 minutes TOPS! to get you to "al dente". 

Add your favorite sauce and bon appetite!!











    With some of the extra dough I was able to get some Spinach and Cheese Ravioli!!!!  It was YUMMA-LIOUS too!!!

2 comments:

  1. So does the ravioli freeze well? I love fresh pasta, but to me sometimes it's not worth it because I have to eat it all right away.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...