Monday, January 28, 2013

Shrimp Salad....Hold the mayo please!

Pin It

Most people love shrimp in any form.  I on the other hand can only handle it in certain forms.  Fried (yummy, but so not good for me, Scampi (way to greasy for my taste buds), Grilled (my most favorite with a nice dry rub) and then there are those itsy bitsy shrimp you find in the frozen seafood section you are supposed to use for salads.

Now those I like when I make a dirty shrimp rice, but I have never used them in a salad form.  I read on the back of the package about a shrimp salad you put on a hoagie, but that just seem like a lot of shrimp for me and it has mayo.  I don't really like a lot of mayo on anything, so although I wanted to try the recipe I decided to replace the mayo and the herbs used and come up with this lighter version that is tasty and just plain good.

Instead of a hoagie, I toasted cocktail pumpernickel bread and that add a great crunch.

Shrimp Salad....Hold the Mayo

Ingredients
*1/2 pound(s) frozen salad-size shrimp, thawed and drained
*1/4 cup(s) plain, low fat, Greek yogurt
*1 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
*1/2 tsp dried dill weed
*1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
*1/8 gm garlic powder, pinch
*1/8 gm onion powder, pinch

Instructions
*Thaw shrimp and drain. Place in a medium bowl.

*Mix yogurt, softened cream cheese, dill weed, lemon juice , a pinch of garlic powder and a pinch of onion powder, until well combined. Add yogurt mix to shrimp and chill for 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...