For a little while now I have not been eating flour, rice, bread, dairy products, sugar....in short I've been eating more paleo. I have never felt so good!!! I've always thought that it was gimmicky and never wanted to do anything thing that was trendy or just for the moment. But, I hit a plateau in my weight loss journey and I was frustrated.
A friend of mine told me she was going to do this paleo diet thing and wanted to know if I wanted to do it too. I ignored the request, but she kept telling me how it has helped her husband's pain subside and he lost 10lbs. in the first couple of weeks...ALL JUST BY CHANGING HIS DIET to a more wholesome and real food one.
So I decided, quietly to do the same. I didn't tell anyone, not even my family. I just started cooking differently and making sure the meals provided where less starchy and more veggie wholesome with great proteins. They have not gripped one bit. My husband and eldest son, actually gave me a compliment on the changes they can see. I have lost 11lbs. in the last 2 weeks eating this way.
With that said, I realized I will need to start having some bread items, as I LOVE BREAD!!! So, this is my first bread item, that doesn't have your typical flour. It uses Almond Flour. You can make it yourself, if you have a great blender (raw slivered almonds would be easier than the whole on your blender, just pulse until nice and fine crumbly) or buy it at your local grocer. We have a WinCo market here and they have almond flour in their bulk section.
Lemon-Blueberry Pancakes w/ Almond Flour
Serving Size:3 pancakes
1/2 med. banana, mashed
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 lg. egg
1/4 C. Almond Flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. Sliced almonds
1/2 C. thawed, frozen blueberry or fresh (next time I think I will only use 1/4 C. It wasn't a problem, just a little heavier than I some would like, but I love blueberries!)
Coconut Oil Spray
1. Mashed the bananas until they are very gooey. Add the lemon juice & egg. Mix together well.
2. Add the flour, baking powder, soda, and almonds. Stir together until nicely combined.
3. Add blueberries. Fold them into the batter, being careful not to crush them.
4. Spray your pan with the Coconut oil. Heat on Med-Low. (this is key!!) Scoop a 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan and using a spatula spread it out a bit. Note: This is not a super runny batter. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Serve and top with the remaining half of the banana. (In my opinion, no need to syrup).
Thanks for stoppin by!! I hope you like.